Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lots of Hats



Last week I gave a Career Day talk to the students at my daughter's middle school.  I told them, truthfully, that my absolutely favorite thing about working for a small non-profit was that I got to do lots of different things every day.  In the world of cliches - this is called "Wearing Lots of Hats" or a little more negatively "Jack of All Trades and Master of None."  For me - I'll go with the hats.

The variety my job offers me is pretty amazing, from teaching five year olds in summer camp and learning to spin yarn with a drop spindle to writing federal grants, working with a top publishing company or cultivating major donors.  Every day is different and sometimes every hour is different.

Today I'm working on the newsletter, special event tickets, proofreading a book and drafting museum panels.  Later in the week I get to do a walk through of a 250 year old home for our upcoming House Tour.

I may always be a "Jack" and never a "Master" of all these trades, but the constant change and challenge of them all keep me very engaged and very grateful for the opportunity to grow.

What is the photo?  One of my favorite days at work - A Sheep to Shawl Camp.

1 comment: